The New Jersey School of Conservation, a residential environmental education field center in Stokes State Forest, Sandyston, New Jersey is seeking a full-time on-site Assistant Facilities Crew member who will report to the Director of Facilities at the NJSOC. Note that this position is 100% on-site at the NJSOC.
The mission of the NJSOC is to foster environmental knowledge and action through education programs delivered in a natural setting. We are a community of diverse, responsible stewards of the earth who promote sustainability practices, climate change mitigation, and environmental justice.
New Jersey School of Conservation
Stokes State Forest
Sandyston, New Jersey
Type of Position: Full-Time
Title: Facilities Crew Member
The Facilities Crew Member is responsible for supporting day-to-day work of the Facilities department, including construction projects managed by crew members designated by the Executive Director. This work will include both maintenance work and aiding in ongoing construction projects at NJSOC.
Your Skills – To be successful in this position, you must have:
- Experience in and willingness to provide custodial services such as cleaning facilities including mopping, dusting, washing, vacuuming, removing trash, etc.
- Experience in construction work using hand and power tools, including those powered by electricity and gas.
- Experience in landscaping and maintenance work such as removing snow, running lawnmowers, pruning, etc.
- Valid driver’s license in order to operate medium-sized vehicles such as pick-up trucks.
- Some familiarity with using a computer to record time and send emails; using a cell phone to send text messages.
- A willingness to work using safety guidelines and equipment; attending training as requested, and reporting unsafe conditions.
- Working well with others, being part of a team and part of getting things done.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Cleaning rooms, offices, cafeterias, cottages, other living quarters, halls, labs and restrooms, including toilets, showers, sinks and floors. Dusting, cleaning, and polishing furniture, fixtures, woodwork, and equipment. Washing and cleaning windows, sweeping, washing, stripping, waxing, and polishing floors, and sweeping and vacuuming rugs.
- Running and maintaining power cleaning equipment, including cleaning and oiling equipment, and changing brushes and accessories.
- Aiding in trash collection and removal, including emptying wastebaskets, garbage cans, and recycling receptacles.
- Assisting carpenters, electricians, painters, plumbers, and other facility crew members and contractors by carrying tools and materials, by placing and removing ladders, by cleaning up after work has been done, and by doing other varied support tasks as necessary.
- Landscaping and maintenance of outside areas, including snow removal.
- Engaging in various administrative and training activities, keeping records and files, and learning to utilize various types of electronic devices and/or manual recording and information systems used by NJSOC.
- Completing other tasks as needed.
Compensation: The wage for this position is $25.00 per hour. FONJSOC offers a full range of employee benefits including health insurance, retirement plan with employer matching and paid time off.
Background Check: All positions at the FONJSOC are subject to a criminal background check.
To Apply: Send resume and cover letter to:
No phone calls please. Deadline to apply is February 10, 2024.
The New Jersey School of Conservation is an equal opportunity employer and an organization that values diversity. People from all diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. To learn more about FONJSOC, visit our website at http://www.njsoc.org
This job opening listing is not an offer of employment.